Managing Director, Head of D.C. Office
Michael Hotra represents clients impacted by federal and state policy, politics and regulation, as well as policy-oriented shareholder proposals. He often works closely with a client’s legal counsel, government affairs representatives and leadership teams to develop public affairs strategies that mitigate risk, protect and enhance valuation and reputation and enable optimal business outcomes. He has specific expertise supporting clients undergoing investigations by federal and state governments, and has counseled several companies through DOJ, SEC, NLRB, GAO and agency-level investigations and merger reviews, as well as Congressional investigations and CEO-level oversight hearings. Mike has also counseled clients litigating and settling thousands of MDL cases initiated by state attorneys general.
Prior to joining H/Advisors Abernathy, Mike served as a Vice President at PhRMA. Before that, he was a senior leader at a Washington-based public affairs firm. Early in his career, he was also an advocate for legal reform at the state and federal levels.
• A national pharmaceutical distributor on its prescription opioid litigation and subsequent settlement
• A top-10 U.S. commercial bank whose CEO appeared at two consecutive days of House and Senate oversight hearings
• A NYSE-listed company facing a three-plus year SEC investigation and subsequent settlement
• A national retailer facing a federal agency investigation over its labor practices
• Signify Health on its approximately $8 billion sale to CVS
• Intuit on its $8.1 billion acquisition of Credit Karma
• Syracuse University, B.A. in History